Tuesday

Staffordshire Pottery Dogs


I love Staffordshire Spaniels, those pottery pieces, some of which go back 400 years are charming in a folk artsy sort of way...and collecting them can be addicting!
I have only a few pieces, I love the Poodles, ( see the amazing inkwell above)Greyhounds, Pugs, Cats and Horses as well. I am still looking for a Pug to add to my collection.
This picture of white Spaniels was snapped at the local antique show and that dealer obviously loves them too.
There are a number of books on the subject if you are interested in collecting them, my favorite is the Victorian Staffordshire Dogs book pictured here..it available at Amazon for just under 40 dollars. Staffordshire pottery pieces have always gone up in value which makes them a good investment...but make sure you educate yourself on identifying the genuine antique and not a reproduction, and while the repros are great to decorate with ,they are of no significant value.

No comments:

Post a Comment